Monday, June 11, 2012

Oh my heaven, Chase is 7!


That's right, Chase turned 7. I decided to throw a party for him this year. Normally we just do cake and ice cream and get some b-day balloons, and he usually has no idea that it's all for him. But this year I decided to throw him a real party. Chase doesn't have "friends" like a typical 7 yr old would of course due to the autism, but he's sure got a lot of family that loves to hang out with him! So we threw him an Ironman party. All my sibs were able to be there for it ;-) I wondered how much Chase was going to understand that it was all for HIM. For the last 2 weeks leading up to his b-day, Chase's autism therapist and I have been teaching him what to say when someone asks him "Chase, when is your b-day?" to which he learned to reply "June 2nd". Also when asked "Chase, what is June 2nd?" he reply's, "My birthday". So still not knowing if he was comprehending it, we had everyone come out to the pool to sing happy birthday to him. Everyone gathered around the side of the pool and broke out in song, and lo and behold, Chase realized they were singing to HIM! He got the cutest shyest look on his face. I wish I could have captured a pic of it but i couldn't get the camera to snap the pic fast enough. (story of my life every single time)

 
I snapped this pic when everyone started singing, it was right after that, it dawned on Chase that everyone was singing TO him, and he got a real shy expression. Oh when Chase has those moments of clarity, it is such a blessing and a sight to see!!! All I could say to Eric was "Look! He knows this is for him, he knows!!" I wanted to cry! It's the little things that are HUGE in life ya know?

 Having fun in the pool.



 Worlds Best Big Sister



 I'm mad at myself that this is the best pic of Chase's b-day Ironman cake that I took. Eric decorated the cake himself and it looked superb!! I forgot to take a pic of just the cake, because remember, I am the WORST picture taker in the whole entire world. oh well! Notice how Chase is plugging his ears while trying to blow out the candle from far away. Chase hates fire or even a little flame so he was scared but by golly he did it!
 Opening presents




 This year was the first year he really started wanting to open presents. He did great at Christmas too!


 The Autism Awareness ribbon my mom made and put on Chase's wrapping paper :) and my gnarly carpal tunnel scar underneath, grosssssss.





 Chase loves Ironman, which basically means he recognizes Ironman the best and has an Ironman helmet that he used to wear 24/7, even when playing the Wii. So we say it's his favorite. And let me tell ya, it was NOT easy finding just Ironman party decor. It's all Avengers right now! I drove ALL the way across town to get balloons with just Iromnan on them, and then my sister let them fly away when she was putting them in her car. Ouch! Darn Vegas wind! 
I can't wait till next year to see how he does on his b-day. Will he be more aware than he was this year? Hopefully!!

3 comments:

Natalia said...

I loved reading this! That little Chase is one amazing kid!

S 'n H NGO said...

Sounds like he had a great birthdya. I love reading your blog!!! Miss ya!

Dee said...

O my goodness. He is growing up so fast!