Thursday, March 1, 2012

Surgery day and the wonderful Mr. Mom

What have I been up to? Well, typing with only one hand for one thing. Tuesday afternoon I got a carpal tunnel release. It's only about 10 years overdue. Is it just me, or do mom's kinda put themselves on the back burner when they have children and those little darlings have needs of their own?!

But with both kids in school all day and Chase doing rather well right now with school and therapies, we decided it was time. The carpal tunnel pain has increased tremendously in the last year or so, and Eric took some leave at work, so we scheduled the surgery and said "git 'er done". Let me just say, it hurts but Percocet is loverly! My surgeon said there's no guarantee the surgery will work to fully take care of all the symptoms, but here's to hopin! At least the numbness in the fingers should cease!

This pic was taken right when we got home from the hospital and i was still pretty drugged up, but also about to take more pain meds. Eric has me all set up with the iPad to watch Tron until i fell asleep again. They really had a hard time putting my IV in, thanks to the fact that they make you fast all food and drink after midnight and then your veins are no good because your dehydrated! It took 3 people and 3 different poke spots to do it. i couldn't see anything while they were doing this because they made me take out my contact lens and took away my glasses! I'm legally blind without corrective eye-wear so it was weird not being able to see who was doing what to me! At least when they did finally get it in, they knocked me the heck out for the procedure!
I'm glad its over and can't wait for Tuesday when they take the splint off.
I must say how wonderful Eric is at being Mr. Mom. He's had to do everything from getting the kids up and ready for school, feeding them breakfast, making lunches, conversing with Chase's therapists, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning up, tiding up the downstairs for the therapists that come do behavior therapy with Chase in the mornings before school, picking the kids up from school (2 different schools mind you), helping with homework, getting kids ready for bed, reading to Allie's class during Nevada Reading Week) paying the bills, taking care of me, which is no easy task I'm sure! Tomorrow he gets the pleasure of curling my hair for me since I'm one handed :) At dinner tonight, i asked him if he'd like to switch roles, he declined the offer. I guess I'm okay with that since I'd rather not be the one that has to go to Afghanistan for 6 months at a time!

1 comment:

McGavran6 said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Huge cheers to Eric for being so fantastic.